Monday, February 16, 2009

Monday Feb 16 - Remembrance

On our last day in Rwanda (Sat. 14, Valentine's Day), we went to another student center, and at this one we did a craft project. We did the craft in 3 shifts with 3 different age groups. It was a lot of fun. The kids caught on to the craft really quickly. They all wanted to practice English. Funny but the kids can't distinguish the question "how are you" from "how old are you" and if you ask the latter they will say "I am fine, how are you?" So you have to ask them, how many years do you have.

We had a wonderful farewell lunch at the Novotel (a Valentine's banquet), and Eugene came at the end to say good-bye. His wife was still in the hospital and she was improving, but not all the way better. He had been home taking care of their baby since Wednesday. He was a bit frazzled but seemed relieved that she was improving. John did an admirable job taking over with our tour even though he had expected to be only assisting all week. We made sure we thanked them, and our bus driver, Mupenze. We got to relax at the hotel until time to go to the airport. We had a chance to share some experiences and talk through some guided questions. The topic of the genocide came up again, and it struck me how the roots of the Rwandan genocide started with the pre-WWI German influence; how our country was built on Christian principles... and the genocide of the native Americans; and how easily humans perpetrate evil on each other and justify it to themselves.

I don't want to ever forget the things I learned in Rwanda. I learned how love can cross all rational racial, ethnic, and political boundaries; I learned how I can be content with very few possessions; I learned the spiritual need to combat materialism wherever I find it in my life; and how from a pragmatic standpoint combating materialism can let me provide for someone who has so much less than myself. I cannot change all the poverty of Africa or Rwanda, but I have certainly made a difference in the life of one -and now two - children and their families. God has richly blessed me. I am a rich world citizen. From whom much has been given, much will be required. I am ready, now more than ever, to give.

If you would like to sponsor a child, please click on http://www.compassion.com/sponsor_a_child/default.htm?referer=43458. You CAN make a difference in the life of a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment